Sunday, February 18, 2024

The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing

Name: Doris Lessing

Year Won: 2007

Read: The Golden Notebook

Original Language: English

Reason: "that epicist of the female experience, who with scepticism, fire and visionary power has subjected a divided civilisation to scrutiny"

About: The Golden Notebook follows the life of a writer who tries to tie the threads of her life together. Or something. IDK. I didn't make it super far as the beginning felt like a rudimentary introduction to feminism 101, which is fine and all, but also kind of boring in the 21st century.

What I liked: There's a nice sense of time, place and character that permeates through the narrative.

What I Disliked: Maybe this fades with time - since I didn't read the whole thing - but the first chapters honestly feel like, 'hey, y'wanna learn about feminism? I'll tell you about feminism!" circa 1970. Which like, yeah, I'm a feminist and all. But it feels super dull and lectury.

Should it have won a Nobel: Maybe it gets better as it continues? IDK.

Next Up: "The Prospector" by Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio

No comments:

Post a Comment