Sunday, June 11, 2023

Opened Ground by Seamus Heaney

Name: Seamus Heaney

Year Won: 1995

Read: Opened Ground

Original Language: English

Reason: "for works of lyrical beauty and ethical depth, which exalt everyday miracles and the living past"

About: Opened Ground is a collection of poetry. Most of the themes seem to be fairly typical, ordinary things observed around Ireland.

What I liked: I liked the focus on the ordinary and mundane world, explored with unique and unusual insight. I also loved how some of the teim, Heaney blended the past and present, the mythic and the real.

What I Disliked: Not much. I enjoyed Heaney's poetry.

Should it have won a Nobel: I always have a hard time with poetry and it's so difficult for me to judge what makes a poem "good" vs "bad". But I liked these, so sure. Why not?

Next Up: "Map" by Wisława Szymborska

No comments:

Post a Comment