Saturday, January 14, 2023

"The Poetry of Jaroslav Seifert" by Jaroslav Seifert

Name: Jaroslav Seifert

Year Won: 1984

Read: The Poetry of Jaroslav Seifert

Original Language: Czech

Reason: "for his poetry, which endowed with freshness, and rich inventiveness provides a liberating image of the indomitable spirit and versatility of man"

About: This poetry collection is just that...a poetry collection. Many of the poems surround the Czech Republic, particularly Prague, of which Seifert felt a particular love.

What I liked: A lot of the images are both beautiful and fresh. The language (at least in translation) is interesting and keeps me on my toes. There's a light, unencumbered feel to the verse, similar in nature to that of ee cummings (who I also rather like).

What I Disliked: Not really anything, although I'll admit that I find it really hard to assess poetry in the same way I do prose. Like, it's pretty and the images are interesting and the language fresh. I'm not sure what more to say?

Should it have won a Nobel: Perhaps. Again, I feel that poetry is one of the more challenging genres to assess precisely because it's subjective in a way few other forms of literature are.

Next Up: "The Flanders Road" by Claude Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment