Sunday, July 10, 2022

"Poesia Completa" by Vicente Aleixandre

Name: Vicente Aleixandre

Year Won: 1977

Read: Poesia Completa

Original Language: Spanish

Reason: "for a creative poetic writing, which illuminates man's condition in the cosmos and in present-day society, at the same time representing the great renewal of the traditions of Spanish poetry between the wars"

About: "Poesia Completa" is a poetry anthology (quite long) covering the Aleixandre's poetry. So, as is true for most poetry collections, there is no plot...just poems. They are also all in Spanish, although a simpler, less literary Spanish than a number of the collections I've read.

What I liked: I found the poetry to be beautiful. The metaphors conjured up were often unique and startling. That they often did this simply and readably was a pleasant and enjoyable surprise. Although I haven't finished his anthology (poetry reading is slow...), I suspect I will given time. I really am enjoying his work.

What I Disliked: Nothing, really. I found this to a be a breath of fresh air. Literally.

Should it have won a Nobel: Probably, yes. I get that these are often awarded more because the committee was trying to make a point (I suppose in this case probably thinking that they hadn't properly recognized Spanish literature post civil war or somesuch), but I found these poems to be quite lovely. Of course, I did read them in a language not my own, which may mean that I'm misinterpreting their brilliance (what sounds startling and interesting to a non-native speaker might sound contrived or trite to someone with a better understanding of the language). But I still genuinely liked these, which seems to be an achievement of sorts.

Next Up: "Zlateh the Goat and Other Stories" by Isaac Bashevis Singer

No comments:

Post a Comment